Oh-my oh-my...what a treat this recipe is! Not sure about you, but I just love Mexican food, and aside from a great guacamole, my favorite thing to have are tacos! But I once calculated how many calories a regular homemade chicken taco has, and it turns out it is about 300 calories per taco, or 7 Weight Watchers SmartPoints. Not too bad I guess if you can actually just have ONE! But I love these guys so much, there’s no way I’m going to be able to make them and just stick to one serving. Or two. Or three. I need a minimum of 4!! And there goes my daily caloric/ SmartPoint allowance!!
So I decided to switch things around a bit, without compromising on taste. So I decided to replace mixed chicken meat to skinless-boneless chicken breast. I also decide to slow cook the chicken primarily in water rather than in cooking it in too much oil. And more importantly, I decide to replace the taco shell with a lettuce leaf! Yes…lettuce leaf. “What a great idea” I thought. Plus, I dressed up my taco-wanna-be with some super tasty alternatives that give it a Mexican flavor without the added calories or points. In doing so, I’ve cut down my calories per serving to 87 and 2 SmartPoints (instead of the original 300 cals & 7 SP’s). This way, I can have my 4 tacos to my liking. Besides, I would have had more filling protein in each of my portions without compromising on taste.
By the way, as many of you know, I’m a big fan of Costco because I have men to feed at home (husband and 2 adult boys!) – plus me (I too can pack an appetite, you know😊). So I found this awesome “Taco Spice” that I get from there, along with the rest of the ingredients. In fact come to think of it, every single ingredient I’ve used in this recipe, I had bought from Costco. So there you go…a one stop shop!
Here’s what you need to make these awesome Healthy Chicken Tacos:
- 1 LB chicken breasts – skinless, boneless
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 1 head romaine lettuce – leaves separated, washed and patted dry
- 2 TBS taco spice
- 1 TBS garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili flakes (optional)
- ½ cup fat free salsa – I used Tostitos fat free salsa, or the Kirkland brand works just as well too
- ¼ cup corn kernels – canned or cooked from frozen
- ¼ pickled jalapenos slices
- Heat oil on medium heat in a large pan with a tight lid
- Add chicken breast – You can put it in the pan as is, no need to cut it at this point
- Add the taco spice, garlic powder and chili powder
- Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water, bring to a soft boil
- Cover, turn down the heat and allow to simmer for 1 to 2 hours, turning the chicken every 30 minutes or so.
- Once you see that the chicken is well cooked and it is starting to fall apart, and only a little liquid is left in the bottom of the pan, take two forks and shred the chicken breasts into thin shreds
- Allow to cool uncovered for a few minutes
- When ready to eat, grab a lettuce leaf, add a tablespoon or so of shredded chicken
- Top with ½ -1 tsp salsa
- Sprinkle a few corn kernels on top
- And top with a couple of pickled jalapenos slices
With much love & healthy obsessions xx