Guys, I came up with the MOST amazing idea for a quick and healthy breakfast on the go ever! This wonderful Breakfast Casserole is both delicious and nutritious. It is also low in fat, high in protein and super filling!
You can make this on Sunday and it will keep all week in the fridge. In fact, you can even freeze it for later use as well! It has a few ingredients and steps to follow but it will save you tons of time during the week, plus it completely eliminates the need to figure out what you'll be having for breakfast and/or grabbing something completely unhealthy because you're in a hurry.
I decided to share it with everyone because I knew how tough breakfasts are for moms and working women. If you're anything like me, and are always running around in the morning to make sure the kids are ready to go to school and to get to work on time, then this recipe is for YOU!
The great thing about this is that it has lots of healthy, filling ingredients (think sweet potatoes & quinoa) with a whopping 27 g of protein per serving. And even though you might think that you're having a large portion, in reality you're having a meal that so high in protein that it is filling and will keep you satiated until lunchtime, no problem.
The way I made it was in an oven-safe Pyrex pan, which I allowed to cool off for about an hour before I divided it into 6 equal sized squares. I then placed each portion in a square plastic container and tossed them in the fridge for use during the week. You see, this meal allowed me to establish a perfect routine to my morning: right before I leave to work, I would make myself a cup of coffee in my coffee mug, grab a container with a fork and head out to work. When I actually have time, I would sit and have it with my coffee on my kitchen table at home. But most of the time I would take it with me to work and have it at my desk right before I start my day. Either way, it is so easy to carry with me and to eat anywhere really. Yet another reason I love this recipe!
So here are the ingredients and the steps to this awesome meal:
- 2 sweet potatoes - peeled, washed and chopped
- 2 zucchinis - washed, cut lengthwise into four, then chopped into small pieces
- 1 large yellow onion - chopped
- 1 bunch of parsley - washed and chopped
- 2 cups quinoa - cooked
- 1 lbs extra lean ground turkey - cooked (recipe here)
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup egg whites
- 1 TBS each: salt, pepper, rosemary, oregano, garlic and/or onion powder, chili flakes (optional)
- Pam cooking spray
- Spray Pam cooking oil in a large pot
- Add onion and cook for 2 minutes
- Add sweet potatoes, zucchini and parsley and cook another 2 minutes
- Cover and allow to simmer for 20 minutes, stirring every now and then to avoid sticking (add a little water at a time if needed)
- Add cooked quinoa, the ground turkey and all the spices
- Stir everything together making sure all is mixed well and remove from heat
- In a separate bowl, crack eggs one at a time
- Add eggs whites and whisk well together
- Pour eggs over the veggies and turkey
- Spray an oven-safe Pyrex pan with cooking spray and poor the mixture into the pan
- Place in a pre-heated oven on 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes
- Check if set, then take out the Pyrex from the oven and allow to cool on the counter
- Once cooled (about one hour), cut into 6 equal portions
- Place portions in plastic containers or Ziploc bags for use during the week. Otherwise, you can also freeze these in the freezer for 2 months.
**Weight Watchers: 6 servings - 8 Smart Points/ serving