If you ever were on a weight loss program, you know how important it is to incorporate as many servings of vegetables as possible in your meals. Ideally, you'd have some form of vegetable in every single one of your meals and as many of you know, this is easier said than done!
Myself, I try to squeeze in a couple of slices of tomatoes in my breakfast but I have to say, I'm often lacking ideas for that meal of the day. Lunch and supper though....I have no problems with veggies. I often have a salad with both meals. If not, I would have a salad for lunch and a vegetable side for dinner. This is where today's recipe comes in: green beans and tomatoes side!
The other day I found these gorgeous fresh, organic green beans at my local grocery store and grabbed them immediately, not knowing exactly how I'm going to make them. But I knew that they'd be quite lovely to eat (yum yum). So when I got home, I went with my usual gut-driven ideas and came up with this super simple and delicious way of making this absolutely delicious side of green beans. With only 5 ingredients to spare, this recipe did not disappoint! So Here are the ingredients and the steps for making it:
- 1/2 lbs of fresh green beans
- 1 small bin of cherry tomatoes
- 1 TBS pesto (store bought - I use Costco's Kirkland brand pesto)
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 1 tsp each: salt, pepper, garlic powder & chili flakes (optional)
- Wash and drain green beans and cherry tomatoes
- Cut cherry tomatoes in halves and set aside
- Heat oil on medium-low for 1 minute
- Add pesto to the oil, mix and allow to cook a little (1-2 minutes)
- Add cherry tomato halves
- Add green beans and sauté for 1 minute
- Add salt, pepper and chili flakes
- Cover and allow to cook for 5-8 minutes
- Add some water (2 TBS) after 3 minutes of cooking to ensure the veggies don't stick to the pan.
- Sauté some more by stirring everything together a couple of times. Cover and allow to cook for another 15-25 minutes
- Serve as a side with your meal!
- P.S.: the beans might need a little more salt, so make sure you taste them first to see if they're to your liking.
**Weight Watchers: 4 servings - 1 SmartPoint each